Friday, September 16, 2011

Rosie's Raspberry

One, hot July day, while I was at the zoo, I came upon a man who appeared to be very upset and anxious. He told me his wife had dropped her cell phone into the orangutan enclosure and asked me if I could call someone to get it back. I immediately got out my cell phone and call the security office. I told the officer who answered that I was standing just outside the front entrance to the orangutan exhibit and that I had a man there who needed help retrieving his wife's cell phone. The officer told me he would be calling the orangutan keepers to let them know what had happened and where to find the dropped cell phone. 


We waited a few minutes and up drove Officer Tom in his little golf cart. Since it was the middle of Summer, he was dressed in his navy blue uniform, complete with tight shorts and utility belt. Officer Tom asked where the cell phone was located and I showed him the object lying just below the bridge that runs alongside of the enclosure. The phone was not actually inside of the enclosure, but lay just outside of the mesh fence down in a small gully. It was clearly visible near one of the pylons of the bridge. We all waited for the keeper to appear. Minutes went by. Officer Tom called in to find out what was going on -- apparently the keeper was at the other end of the enclosure looking for the phone. Officer Tom obtained permission to climb over the fence, himself, and down into the gully to retrieve the phone. He easily hopped over the fence and made his way down towards the bridge pylon where the phone lay. Just as he was bending over to pick up the cell phone, Rosie, one of the female orangutans came up behind him, stuck out her tongue, took a deep breath, and aimed a wet raspberry at the officer's behind. 

" Pbluthuuuuuu!!!"

Officer Tom jumped, let out a yell and hopped, no dived back over the fence as quickly as he could. Then, he handed the cell phone to the startled man, got back into his little golf cart with as much dignity as he could and drove away.

I could not help laughing, and Rosie was laughing, too.

Image borrowed from unravelcat.wordpress.com

No comments:

Post a Comment